Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Gobble Gobble

Here's the most important lesson I've learned during the last few weeks: When I'm unemployed, life is way less stressful.

It's really great being home, and not having to go in to school to teach. After Frankie goes to bed at eight, I don't have to gear myself up for all-night marathon grading sessions. My inbox is free from the dozens of panicky/ passive-aggressive student emails that usually take up all of my time and energy. I actually have time to plan meals and pick up the house. I feel much less resentful when Matt goes away on business trips, because I don't have to juggle all of the childcare and housework with teaching.

In short, being unemployed is pretty awesome.

I know that I'm in a very fortunate position, not having to have a job right now. Matt works really hard, and it's because of him that I have the luxury of forgoing a paycheck and staying at home. So, yay Matt.

Being at home also makes prepping for Thanksgiving so much easier. In years past, I remember being so exhausted and overwhelmed with grading over Thanksgiving break that the thought of making anything for the big family dinner made me want to curl up in a ball in the corner, weeping. This year, I'm totally looking forward to the big meal. I'm in charge of the turkey, and have the whole 19 pound she-bang currently brining in the kitchen. (Thanks, Alton Brown!) I got the cranberry eggnog salad all whipped up this morning. In fact, I'm so ahead of the game, that I'm planning to run back out to the store to buy the ingredients for a last minute addition to the roster: roasted brussel sprouts.

It feels good to be able to take such a relaxed approach to Thanksgiving. And for that, truly, I'm thankful.

4 comments:

K. C. Wells said...

Told ya. ;)

Anonymous said...

Cranberry eggnog salad? That sounds awesome. Please do tell the secrets of this delicacy.

Trevor

Tif said...

Cranberry eggnog salad rocks! It's a retro jello recipe that my grandmother used to make. The bottom layer is cranberry sauce and raspberry jello. The "eggnog" layer is nutmeg, cool whip, lemon jello, and vanilla pudding. I know it sounds weird, but it's actually totally awesome. I think cooks.com has the recipe. (I always leave out the pecans, though.)

jwjacole said...

Tiff's cranberry eggnog salad has become a favorite tradition ever since Tiff introduced it. Knowing it's from her Grandma makes it even better. P.S. Staying home is the best! You get so much done without the constant discussion about who's going to take care of that task.