Saturday, November 27, 2010

Headed to market!

We had a marathon 2 1/2 hour meeting with our realtor today, and signed all of the paperwork to put our house on the market next month. It's exciting, confusing, and stressful all at once.  I mean, I know that people buy and sell houses every day, but for me the whole endeavor seems pretty epic and overwhelming. The timing is just so hard to wrap my head around. We have to follow Frankie and Roscoe around the house constantly picking things up and wiping things off, keeping perpetually poised for spur-of-the-moment showings, braced for the magic day when we finally get an offer. Then...BAM! We're homeless, and we'd better find ourselves a new house to live in immediately.

I guess it wouldn't be so overwhelming if Matt & I weren't so picky about our next house. If it was as simple as just waiting for our house to sell, looking over the houses available at that random moment we go under contract, and choosing the best of the batch, that'd be manageable. But, I don't want to settle for something that I don't love. I want the next house to be the one we spend the next ten years in. I want to fall in love. So, it has to be just right.

I think Matt and I have both come to terms with the fact that we might have to spend a few months in a rental once our house sells. (And, knock wood, I hope it'll sell soon. We are out of space, on top of other, and consequently facing a winter of boxed-in Cabin Fever.) But, the rental will be ok. Heck, if we can move to another country for seven months, surely we can do the same thing across town.

Wish us luck! The next few months are bound to be a bit of a roller-coaster. I'm looking forward to it, though.

 

4 comments:

jwjacole said...

It is so great to see this process get started. I'm very excited for all of you. Let's all cross our fingers.

K. C. Wells said...

Congratulations! I love looking at houses. Lots of fun!

And why only ten years for the new house?

Be glad that Frankie's in school all the time. When we had our house on the market, Lottie was 11 months old and still napping twice a day. I didn't feel like I could say no to any showings, so I often had to wake her up to get her out of the house. Driving around with a wailing kid in the car = not fun. It's going to be such an exciting adventure! I can't wait to see some of the listings. :)

Tif said...

Perhaps I could say *at least* ten years for the new place?

And, wow... I can't imagine how hard that must have been, KC. I'm so thankful that I don't have to work showings around a sleeping baby! You = amazing. :)

K. C. Wells said...

I thought maybe you guys had a grand plan of dropping out of society in ten years and living in a tent. ;)

It will be a stressful time, no doubt. But if I know you, you'll handle it all with grace. XOXOXOXOXO