Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The unpacking continues

I was gone from the blog world for a few days, and off on a weekend jaunt to San Francisco. Lisa was presenting at a conference there, and took me along as her "plus one." We had it all planned long before we had our house on the market, and the trip just happened to fall in the middle of all of the moving madness.

At first, I wasn't sure if I wanted to go. It was tough leaving the new house, the family, and all of those unpacked boxes behind. I'm really glad I went, though. It was a great trip. I'd never seen San Francisco before, and am so glad that I got a chance to tour the city. Lisa and I saw Alcatraz, took a tour bus around the city, drove over the Golden Gate bridge, walked and wandered for miles, spent an afternoon at the Modern Art Museum, and ate some truly fantastic meals. Lisa and I even caught a really teriffic female impersonation show on Saturday night. Here's the fabulous Miss Viki in action:


After all that fun, adventure, and city walking, I came home pretty exhausted. There's still so much to do, but I've been pretty lazy the last two days. Slowly but surely, though, it's starting to come together.

I really do love the house. And the neighborhood is fantastic, too. Several sets of neighbors have come by the house with brownies and words of welcome, and have made us feel right at home. Frankie and I even went over to a party last night at our neighbor's house two doors down for Dutch Mardi Gras. There was singing, pinata smashing, and Dutch food. Most of the neighborhood kids are teenagers, but they were very sweet to Frankie, showing her around the party and playing games with her. She even got first swing at the pinata.

The new neighborhood is a stark switch from the old neighborhood. I have to say, I like it here much better. I don't miss the Meldrum house at all. In fact, it amazes me that we were able to live in that tiny house on Meldrum as long as we did. I definitely won't miss the 3am fireworks displays outside my bedroom window. Everyone on Knollwood so far seems very kind and thoughtful. I forgot that was even a possibility.



3 comments:

jwjacole said...

Glad to have you back. Sounds like San Fran was a great get away. I don't get Dutch Mardi Gras with a pinata but I love that you had a fun time. Frankie does love parties. Maybe one of those teens would be a good babysitter so you and Matt can get out together more often.

Tif said...

I don't really get the whole "Dutch Mardi Gras" thing either. It's a tradition called "Fastnacht Day." I'd never heard of it before. The pinata was actually a small wooden barrel filled with treats. The first one to break it open is the "queen" of the party, and the last one to knock it completely down is the "king." It was interesting to see a new tradition and experience a new culture. The neighbor has Dutch ancestors, and spends about a third of the year in the Netherlands. Seems like a lot of the families in the neighborhood have dads that travel overseas a lot.

K. C. Wells said...

I'm. So. Jealous. Alcatraz! That's awesome! And I'm glad you're enjoying the neighborhood. You certainly deserve it!