Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A Sad Day

Last night, our dog Roscoe passed away peacefully in his sleep. I found him this morning, lying on the basement floor. I thought he was sleeping soundly, but... He was gone.

As soon as I found Roscoe, I called Matt. Matt came right home and took care of everything. I'm so glad he was here. I don't know what I would have done without him.


Even though Roscoe was twelve years old, it still took me completely by surprise. Roscoe had such a good week. He was just starting to settle in to the new place. He had the new layout figured out, and the dog door mastered. He had been going on walks with us around the neighborhood, was enjoying sunning himself on the deck, and had been working on a new rawhide bone. He had such a good week. There wasn't any sign at all of what was going to happen this morning. I really didn't see it coming. None of us did.

Frankie seems to be handling the news pretty well. She's sad, of course. Roscoe had just started sleeping in her room, and she had just begun to take on some dog-related responsibilities like holding his leash during our walks and fixing his dinner. I think in a lot of ways Frankie was closer to Roscoe than she was to Milton. So, my guess is that his death is going to affect her more strongly. Time will tell.

Me? I'm really sad. But I'm also thankful that Roscoe didn't have to go through what Milton did. I suppose the way he died is the best way possible... Quietly in his sleep, no suffering. As time passses, that will comfort me more and more. Right now, though, I'm just overwhelmed at how quiet and empty the house seems.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What joy he brought you for so many years!! He passed peacefully in his sleep and that should bring you some comfort.

Thinking of you from Missouri
Mom

K. C. Wells said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Roscoe was such a good boy, and I know how very much he was loved. I'll never forget waking up on your futon with Roscoe's big head lying next to me on the pillow. I had so much fun snuggling with him.


I wish it hadn't happened, but I'm glad it was peaceful. I hope he and Milton are romping together, chasing squirrels, and barking at UPS men.

jwjacole said...

This was very hard for all of us. After having Roscoe while you were in England I still come home and expect to see him here. He was a very good dog and so was Milton. Remember how smart Roscoe was and how he like to tease Milton. When I was babysitting them both Roscoe would get Milton to chase him around the downstairs and then quickly run upstairs and look over the banister to watch Milton walk around in total confusion because he didn't know where Roscoe went. Then Roscoe would do it again and Milton never figured it out. They were a lot of joy for all of us. Jo