Saturday, February 12, 2011

Moving is exhausting

I keep telling myself that I need to update the blog, but can't seem to get the motivation. By the time the end of the day rolls around, I'm pretty much exhausted. I can't quite figure out why, either. It's not like I'm doing any kind of hard labor during the day. I've barely even started on packing yet.

I think it's more of an *emotional* exhaustion. I'm t this point where I'm overwhelmed by the sheer number of decisions that need to be made at the new house. What appliances should we buy? Where will all our furniture go? Who do we call to get all of the services hooked up? (Can't live more than a day without internet!) What do we need to buy *before* moving in? What can wait?

Plus, the logictics of the move are complicated. We're closing on both houses the same day, so it's been a real pain trying to figure out how to juggle Roscoe, Frankie, moving out of the Meldrum house, closing, and moving into Knollwood. I think we have it all figured out at this point, but it's going to be a really hectic three days. Ugh. Thank goodness Lisa is going to give us all a place to stay on Thursday and Friday nights. Minus Roscoe, of course, who would probably ty to eat her cats, Alf-style.

All of this decision making has had a really weird psychological effect on me. It's like I'm now at the point where I'm nearly incapable of making a decision without second guessing myself. I'm asking myself everything from Did we buy the right fridge? to Did we buy the right house? Obsessively truning every decision over and over in my head, it's hard to move forward. But I know. Baby steps. One decision at a time, and it'll all get finished. It's just hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel right now.

There are so many projects at the new house that need to get done, and all of them are largely out of my control. I know Matt loves working on the house, building, painting, fixing, but that's not really my thing. I just want to skip right to the part where the walls are painted, the furniture is in place, the artwork is hung, and everything is decorated exactly how I like it. But that's a loooong way off. And it's kind of freaking me out, knowing how *unsettled* we're going to be for awhile.

I know it'll be ok. It'll all get done, it'll all turn out great. It's just the process that's freaking me out at the moment.

3 comments:

K. C. Wells said...

Tear into it, sista! :)

Anonymous said...

Hang in there! What you are going through is perfectly normal! It will all work out and it WILL be worth all your efforts!

Love from Mom in Mo

jwjacole said...

I think this move will be great. A little buyer's worries is a good thing. I always have worries when I make a big purchase and I get nervous if I don't. I think you made a good choice. It's a great floor plan, good price, great neighborhood, and projects for Matt.