Sunday, October 24, 2010

The end is nigh...

I originally thought that I'd spend my last week in England visiting all of my favorite spots and saying a leisurely goodbye. That hasn't actually gone according to plan. Instead, I've been spending the whole week packing like a fiend-- Shoving things into suitcases and giving away all the stuff that won't fit. I've been driving round and round the village dropping off rugs, tables, chairs, and all the other things that can't come with us. Everyone's been so kind and appreciative. It makes me feel a little like Santa. Oh, sorry. Like Father Christmas.

I've gotten quite a few really sweet cards and going-away gifts from some of my friends out here. My favorite one was from my friend Jackie, who thanked me for "bringing a little more color into her life." I thought that was a pretty nice compliment.

We're down to the wire, though. Every single suitcase is packed to its maximum capacity: 50 pounds. (48, just to err on the safe side.) I still have no idea how we're going to be able to navigate the airport with all of this stuff. And how Matt thinks he's going to be able to squeeze all of us and our luggage in his Saab for the ride home from Denver is a mystery to me. I hope the inside of the Saab is built a little like one of those clown cars, where the inside seems to magically hold way more than the outside would suggest.

So... Farwell England. Goodbye Kirkborough House. I'll never forget this adventure. It seemed pretty crazy at the time, but had turned out to be one of the best decisions ever.

3 comments:

dove said...

I can drive down in your element and help with the luggage. Just let me know.

Can't wait to see you!

jwjacole said...

This made me cry. This has really been a once in a lifetime advendure. It was great in so many ways. Sad to see you leave Maryport but very glad to have you home.

K. C. Wells said...

Hope it's a great trip back!