Friday, October 22, 2010

Saying Goodbye

Today is Frankie's last day at school, and I'm feeling sad.


Sad Keanu



Sad Don Draper

It's been harder than I thought it would to say goodbye to the moms I've made friends with out here, and all of the cards and hugs they gave me this morning made me break down in an embarassing and uncharacteristic show of tears.

Frankie seems ok this morning, but yesterday in the car on the way to school she sang an epic song all about leaving England that featured the following phrases:

"Why do I deserve this?"
"I'll never see my best friends again."
"Maybe someday I'll be happy."

Totally broke my heart. Which was probably exactly what she was trying to do.

Anyhow, today she's much better than I am. She actually seems excited to get back to Colorado, citing the fact that Colorado will be "Layla free." I'm excited to get back home, too. But the goodbyes are just plain hard. I can't stop myself from thinking morose thoughts everytime I do even the simplest task: This is my last trip down The Went.... I'll never see the Post Office again... that's the last pasty I'll ever eat.... etc, ad nauseum.

It's just weird to think that this place that's been a second home to me will be erased completely from my daily life. I'll never be here again. Weird.

2 comments:

K. C. Wells said...

I'm sorry you're feeling sad, Friend. :(

jwjacole said...

This is really sad but also really great that you had such a wonderful experience in England that you do not want to go. The people in England were so great. We are very glad you are coming home but will miss the travel opportunities we had.