Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Reality sets in

It just hit me how much work it's going to be to get ready for the Big Move on Monday.

I spent the day today doing about ten loads of laundry, and then packing all of the clean stuff into suitcases. We have six suitcases to fill, and after that everything that won't fit has to be left behind. I filled three today with just Frankie's stuff. All of her stuffed animals are taking up WAY too much room, but I'm afraid to leave anyone behind because I don't want Frankie to freak out if we get to Colorado without all of her special furry friends.

I'm planning on packing my room tomorrow, and am dreading figuring out how to pack all of the knick knacks and awesome-yet-breakable antique things I've found in my travels. And, oh god... I just remembered all of the snow globes.

Ugh.

Perhaps a rouge pack of kindly and industrious elves will descend on us in the night and pack everything up for me. And cobble up a batch of fancy shoes. And spin all of this hay into gold while they're at it.

4 comments:

K. C. Wells said...

Are there space bags in England? Those would help. You can do the same thing manually with big Ziplocks, too. Just fit things in and squoosh out all the air. Can you send things back via post or UPS? I'm sure it's expensive but they could help you pack the breakables.

jwjacole said...

So, I guess that means the bricks aren't coming. I don't envy you this job and I'm great at moving. Good luck. Can't wait for you to get home.

Tif said...

Can't bear to leave the bricks behind! I'm going to make Matt leave the bricks at his office, and then bring them back one at a time when he travels here for business. It'll take the sting out of him going away for business when I know he's going to bring one home for me.

Tif said...

Good ideas, KC. They don't have space bags here (not that I've seen, at least), but I do have a few that I brought over with me in the first move. I forgot all about them until you mentioned it. So, yay!

As for the UPS, we don't have one of those full-service mail centers in our area, just our local post office (quaintly set in the back of a convenience store). I might have to send a few things back that way. Hmmm.... Wonder if we can get Matt's company to foot the bill?