Saturday, May 7, 2011

Garden Nightmare

I wish Gordon Ramsey had a show called "Garden Nightmares," so he could come out to my house and scream directions at me until I was able to get the tangled mess of weeds outside my front door sorted.

It's bad.


Most everything you can see that's green in the picture are weeds. The World's Biggest Dandilion lives out there (seriously, call Gunniess), as do old leaves, rotten Halloween pumpkins, and a bunch of plastic silverware (wtf??). I'm not really sure how the previous owners made such a mess of the place. We didn't even realize it was this bad until after we'd moved in and the snow melted, revealing the awful snarl.

What's worse is that the garden is in such a prominent place. It's right in front, right outside the bay window in the kitchen. Every time we sit down for a meal, we get to gaze down on the mess. "Oh, look. Is that a spork?" .."Hey, I think that weed is taller than Frankie!"

I can't judge too much. I'm a terrible gardiner, too. Mostly, I have no aptitude towards it. I don't really know anything about plants, and any time I attempt to plant or grow anything it ineviatably dies. I have a black thumb. Plus I'm kind of prissy, and hate getting all dirty from digging around in the dirt. And bugs. Don't really like those guys either.

The closest I've gotten to doing anything yard-related in the new house is buying a single terracotta pot to put a few as yet unpurchased flowers in. But today, after Matt's motivational urging, I'm going to bite the bullet and try to make the front garden a little less of an eyesore.

Ugh. Dirt. Guess I'm going to have to get started.

1 comment:

jwjacole said...

Three chears for the Cole family!! It will be great fun working together, you'll see.