Saturday, September 3, 2011

Pleasant Valley Saturday

My little suburban subdivision is feeling like my own private utopia tonight.

I drove home from dropping off Frankie with Grandma and Grandad, and it was one of those afternoons at the edge of summer where you can really feel the gears shift, opening the door to fall. On the way home, it was blue skies, 68 degrees. Gorgeous. I drove into our neighborhood past the lake, and the sun was setting behind the mountains. The water was sparkling, and the sky was a once-in-a-blue-moon vibrant pink. I had the windows rolled down, and could smell that someone had a backyard bonfire going, and someone else was grilling steaks. By the time I got home, it was cold enough that there was a slight chill in the air (which I love), so I threw open all the windows and put on my favorite hoodie. I can hear the neighbor's sprinkler in the distance, and crickets. A beautiful cool breeze is blowing through the house, and everything is quiet and calm. I'm headed out to the screened-in porch with my Kindle, happy as a clam.

Really, a perfect night.

2 comments:

jwjacole said...

I couldn't agree more. It was a fabulous cool air,sky blue,with the slight smell of fall. A wonderful Colorado day. How great to have such a welcoming place to call home for you, Matt, and Frankie.

Anonymous said...

Doesn't get much better than that!!

Mom in MO