Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy!

The new washing machine is here!!! Hazzah!!!!

I never dreamt I’d be so excited to see a major appliance.

We’re been without a working washing machine now for almost a month. Honestly, it’s been awful.



There are mounds of dirty clothes everywhere, and we’ve had to re-wear all of our dirty things at least twice. The only exception is underwear, which I’ve been keeping clean by washing…in the bathtub.

No joke. In the bathtub.

Allow me to illustrate the severity of the problem by using this photo from the Tate Museum:



I’m sick of dirty clothes, and sick of feeling a total loss of control over the situation. We’ve been at the mercy of Ken, who never showed up to fix the stupid machine, and then at the mercy of our landlord who seems to operate on a different plane of existence than the rest of humanity: A dimension where time holds no meaning, and the word “urgent” apparently means “in a month or so if I can get around to it.”

I was so afraid that I was going to have leave for our upcoming trip to the states with suitcases filled with dirty clothes. But all of that ends today with the delivery of a brand spankin’ new washing machine. I’m so happy, I feel like I might weep tears of joy into the laundry.





Bonus: The landlord sacked Ken the Cumbrian Handyman! Although his car is still parked here, he isn’t working at the Kirkborough House any longer. I’m really, really relieved.

4 comments:

K. C. Wells said...

Hooray for the new washer! And I'm glad the landlord finally dumped Ken. :)

Lisa said...

I guffawed at seeing your witty use of the Tate "Dirty Laundry and Diana" installation! So glad you have the new machine now. Here's to clean BedHead PJs!

XX,
LL

Lisa said...

I guffawed at seeing your witty use of the Tate "Dirty Laundry and Diana" installation! So glad you have the new machine now. Here's to clean BedHead PJs!

XX,
LL

jwjacole said...

Good news about the washer but we would have taken your visit under any conditions. Dirty laundry or no dirty laundry.