Wednesday, May 19, 2010

London: Odds and Ends

The trip to London was absolutely terrific. I have such great memories of the time I spent there with Lisa. I'm so thankful that I was able to have that experience... It's fantastic that Lisa came all the way over here to visit me, and that Matt was willing to re-arrange his work schedule so he could watch Frankie and give me a "girls week" away in the city. I'm a lucky girl!

Before I wrap up all of the London posts, I wanted to share a couple of random trip memories.




In Oxford Circus, the Prada store was getting ready to create some sort of avant-guard window display. They had just started, though, and had left a giant crate filled with antique sewing machines on the street. It was so surreal, I had to take a picture.





On our last day, there was a World Cup match going on. The train was filled with blue-shirted, face-painted superfans. Lisa wanted me to take a picture, but I was too chicken. Instead, I snapped this over my shoulder. I think it's sort of nifty. (Note how depressed they all look Their team lost.)




There were tons of wonderfully odd British street signs in our neighbohood. I love the wording on this one. My next favorite is the sign that read, "Quickbury: Children Dead Slow."




Feelin' snazzy on Portabello Road.




Best. Graffiti. EVER. Seriously...Who hates the actor Richard Dreyfuss so much that they have to write nasty things about him on the walls of random London bathrooms? (Although, I should be honest here. Lisa and I were so captivated by this piece of graffiti that we were compelled to reproduce it in several other bathrooms around the city.)




 On Lisa's first night, she was initiated into the bizarre world of British tv documentaries by catching a program all about the history of shipping containers. ("Now stay tuned for an exploration of that none-too-small wonder that helped build modern British industry: the shipping container!")



I was in Lisa's room while she was napping one afternoon. Lisa, dead asleep, turned to at one point and said, clear as day, "Wait...Do you think we’re going to find where we buried it?" Then she rolled over and fell back into her dream.



That pretty much covers it from my end. If I'm convicing enough, I might get Lisa to write up a quick  post about the trip too. Stay tuned!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was really great! Lisa, you are definately my kind if great travel buddy! So many great girl-giggle moments.

Lisa said...

Hey, folks. Now, I not saying that Tiff would EVER misrepresent the facts, but I want y'all to know that I have NO RECOLLECTION about the "buried it; gotta find it" comment. Tiff and I both had quite a few shots of potato vodka (Lemon and Honey and Lemon and Pepper infused--yummy!) the night before.... I'm just sayin'--

Tif said...

I was reading a memoir last night where the author prefaced the story by saying, "Memory is a powerful editor." Tobias Wolff says, "Truth is the story that memory tells us."

I can admit that truth is often in the eye of the beholder.

That said, it totally happened. Totally, definitely, absolutely.

There's not a doubt in my mind, y'all.