Monday, June 7, 2010

Back in Maryport

After about 23 hours of travel, we finally made it home. Man... That trip just doesn't seem to get easier. Weirdly, it's not the flights that I dislike. It everything surrounding the flights that drives me crazy. Airport check-in, security lines, waiting at Customs, waitng for connecting flights, waiting to exit the plane, waiting in slow-moving lines to pick up or drop off rental cars, and driving to and from airports exhaust more time (and patience) than the actual flights themselves.

By the end of the trip, that 2 1/2 hour drive from the Manchester airport to Maryport is a real torture. After so much time cooped up in lines and tiny airplane seats, it's impossible to stay awake on that drive... I'm so lucky that Matt is willing to get cranked up on Red Bull and tackle the driving on his own. I know I couldn't do it. No way would I be able to keep my eyes open.

Frankie and I are really jetlagged today. I ended up keeping Frankie home from school so she and I could recoup and have a lazy day. It's good to be home, but I have to confess that I miss our Florida vacation house. It was so great to spend time with Matt's family, and that pool was pretty spectacular.

Good times.

1 comment:

jwjacole said...

I couldn't agree more. This is a real tolerance challange. Oh, an then do it with children.