Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Disney's Animal Kingdom


On Sunday, we got up bright and early and headed over to the newest of the Disney parks, Animal Kingdom. Ok.. I say "newest," but it's actually been open for more than 10 years. It's new to me, though. The last time I was at Disney World, it didn't exist. So, to me it seems like it just sprang into existence.

The Animal Kingdom is a little like a zoo, but it's not like any zoo that I've ever been to before. All of the animals are set up inside elaborate habitats, and the guests are allowed to get crazy close to the wildlife.

I didn't really know what to expect, but I ended up enjoying the park quite a bit more than I thought I would. It's huge, sprawling, and beautifully designed. The highlights were an amazing safari ride and a really thrilling roller coaster called "Expedition Everest." (Frankie wasn't tall enough for the roller coaster, but everything else at the park was just her size.)

We took Frankie on a ride called Dinosaur! that was very, very scary. It was in the dark, and giant dinosaurs kept popping out and roaring at everyone.  I thought she was going to be traumatized and refuse to ride any other rides at the park. She was a little terrified during the ride, but shook it off like a champ in the light of day.



Jo and Matt inside Dinoland USA.



The landscaping at Animal Kingdom is amazing-- Very lush!





The centerpiece of the park is the gigantic "Tree of Life."


Frankie, relaxing.



On safari.



Frankie, pointing out all of the animals.



Giraffes!

Oohing and aahing.

1 comment:

K. C. Wells said...

I love Dinosaur! It's one of my favorite rides! I'm glad you are all having fun. :)