Wednesday, February 3, 2010

On your mark... Get ready....

I'm feeling a pretty significant amount of performance anxiety about starting a blog like this. First, there's the pressure: I'm a (currently non-practicing) college English teacher, so I feel a certain responsibility to make sure that my posts are grammatically sound, reasonably focused, and not riddled with bizarre misspellings. Second, there's the "blogging" thing: Five years ago, it was a great idea to start a blog. But now I'm fairly convinced that blogs are kind of an "old fogie" thing. All the kids are on Twitter... Who even keeps a blog anymore, let alone *starts* one in 2010? Third, there's the possibility that everything that I'm going to keep track of on this site will only be interesting to me: If I share this blog with friends and family, will everyone be hopelessly bored by my narcissistic ramblings? Totally possible.

Yet, I can't help but feel compelled to keep some sort of record of our big family adventure. It's not every day that you throw caution to the wind, pack everything you can into three suitcases, and head off to live in a different country. True, we'll only be there for six months, but it's going to be a big change for me, and if nothing else, I'd like a place to help me remember all of the details.

Thus, a blog is born.

3 comments:

K. C. Wells said...

Yay! A GOOD blog to read! :)

Tif said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tif said...

Not sure why it removed my last comment.... But anyway, thanks! I'm feeling like my writing skills are pretty rusty, but I'm having fun putting everything together. Let's see if I can keep it up!