Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Third Contender

I know I called the place in Stainburn stately, but can a house in a subdivision really fit the definition of "stately"?

I'm going to go with...No.

But this next place? Crazy stately. It's on the outskirts of Maryport, which is a teeny tiny town with a population of 10,000. The house is nowhere near the city center, though. It's at the end of a secluded, wooded driveway. No neighbors... Just sweeping views of the countryside. I joked about Whitehaven being like like living in an episode of Green Acres. This would be more like landing on the moon.

But that's not necessarily a bad thing, especially since the house is so beautiful. If I say the phrase "English contryside," what image pops into your mind? I'll bet that image pretty close to this house.

The place was built in 1870, and still has quite a few of the original details: tiled entryway, grand staircase, stone fireplaces, 12-foot ceilings. In a previous incarnation, the house used to be a countryside bed & breakfast. I think Matt fell in love with the house a little. He says pictures don't do it justice, but here it is anyway:









2 comments:

dove said...

The 4th photo reminds me of your old place in Laporte.

Tif said...

Totally!