Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Package is in the Mail!

All went well at the fingerprinting place. It wasn't anything remotely like what I expected, though. I'm not sure what I thought I would see when I walked through the doors... Maybe smartly dressed government workers bustling around a state-of-the-art facility?

Not even close.

In reality, it was a dingy little one-room office at the far end of a run-down strip mall next to a "Smoker Friendly." The windows were all blacked out with some sort of reflective paper, but that's about as far as they took security at this place.



Since we were told that all of the appointments were booked up for that day, we expected the place to be extremely busy, and were resigned to settle in for a long wait.

When we walked through the door, though, it was totally deserted. No activity, no customers waiting... Nothing. There was a bored (super grouchy, possibly disgruntled) employee sitting at a folding table by the door reading the comics section of the paper. As Matt explained our situation, he barely looked up from his paper, grunted, and shooed us over to a woman at the far side of the room. She handed us a number, and before we even had time to turn around and walk to the bank of chairs to wait, a third woman on the far side of the room called our number. Basically, we just walked right in. The whole thing took about five minutes, and the employees said probably a grand total of five words to us.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why they claimed they couldn't fit us in until Monday. The most work being done at the place was by the guy who was busy reading the comics.

But, as odd as the experience was, we got everything finished up with the biometric data. Afterwards, we got Visa pictures taken, and headed over to Kinkos to overnight our materials to L.A. for final approval.

Keep your fingers crossed that it all makes it there on time. In order to make our flights, our Visas need to be back in our hands by Thursday at the latest. (We're cutting it close!)

2 comments:

K.C. said...

Fingers crossed for you guys! I hope all the paperwork is back to you quickly. It sounds like quite the underground facility! Bizarro.

jwjacole said...

This reminds me of my trip to the post office to get my passport. I had to make my appointment on the phone to a clerk standing 15 feet away.