Saturday, March 20, 2010

All Shopped Out

Today was a really busy day for us. We drove two hours east to Newcastle to check the area and do some much-needed shopping for the house. We stopped by Toys-R-Us to get a few things for Frankie's playroom, and even picked up a bicycle for Frankie. It's shiny and hot pink, and has training wheels on the back. It also has a long handle attached to the rear so that Matt or I could actually steer the bike for her from behind. She's so excited, and is feeling very grown up.

The major shopping destination of the day was IKEA. We needed all kinds of new bed linens, a coffee table, lamps, rugs... There was a three-page list of about a million things that we needed. Well, maybe *needed* isn't the right word. Really, I just wanted some new things. For example: Yes, it's possible for me to sleep on some of the old sheets that were left behind by the owner of our house. I could force myself to do it if I had to. Still, I'll never be really comfortable unless I'm sleeping with brand new sheets and under a new comforter. I like to know where my sheets and towels have been before they touch my skin. I guess I'm just finicky like that.

So, after spending an obscene amount of time and money at IKEA, we were left with the seemingly impossible task of loading all of the purchases into our small British car. We had one shopping cart filled to the brim with an assortment of household items, three big rugs, and a trolly loaded up with the kits for the coffee table, lamp, and kid's furniture.

Matt must have been a mighty good Tetris player as a kid, because he packed that car up like a total professional. It was really pretty amazing. I didn't think there was any way that everything would fit, but he did it and made it all look organized. Check it out... isn't it glorious?





On a side note, I wanted to say that Frankie was really terrific today. Even though it was a full day of shopping, she never complained once. She even got a special treat of playing at IKA's "Smalland" play center. It's an on-site babysitting center where staff watch the kids while the parents shop. I was worried that she would be a little nervous being all by herself in a new place, but she totally loved it. After her hour of playtime was up, she wanted to go right back in. She said it was the shortest hour ever.

I honestly can't believe how well Frankie's adapting to all of this change and activity. It seems like as long as we're busy doing something, she's happy. Even when we're home taking a break from all of the outings, she seems content. She'll quietly draw or play a game, or watch a little British tv. (She's in love with a British kids show called "Mr. Make It," where the host explains how to do kids craft projects.)

I think we keep her so busy with all of the errands and sightseeing, that when we're home she just wants a little quiet time. This is a nice change for me. It gives me a chance to get some work done around the house, read, or do a little writing. This is a far cry from Colorado Frankie, who used to follow me around the house all day long demanding that I play a game with her.

Speaking of quiet time, I think I'll call it a night. I'm completely exhausted from walking around that huge IKEA store all day, and have a busy day ahead of me putting away all of our goodies. By the end of the day tomorrow, I predict that Matt's going to be an allen wrench expert.

5 comments:

K. C. Wells said...

I'm so jealous of your IKEA excursion! I'm glad you got some things to make your new house feel like home. Miss you! XOXOXO

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you are making the house your "home". It also sounds like everything is going so well and everyone is adapting.

Love ya, Mom in Pennsylvania

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you are making the house your "home". It also sounds like everything is going so well and everyone is adapting.

Love ya, Mom in Pennsylvania

jwjacole said...

Grandma can't wait to see her big girl's new bike. I have never been to an IKEa. It sounds like the perfect place to shop. You put the little one in a fun, supervised, play area as you walk around and get your stopping done. I have advocated for this idea for years. By the way, Matt gets his car packing skills from his Mom. It will feel ie your own place very soon.

jwjacole said...

Just one more comment, I apparently can't spell, type, or proofread on this laptop. I appologize to all the English teachers out there.