Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Twin Passions of the Kirkborough House

There are two things that the people that own this house seem to enjoy:

1) Antique clocks

2) Fake flower arrangements

I can get behind the clock collection. There must be at least thirty of them in the house, four of which are old-school grandfather clocks. They’re all heavy and wooden, and probably date anywhere from 1900-1940. They’re not necessarily my style, but I actually kind of like them. They have personality. Plus, being a collector myself, I understand the collecting impulse. So, I’m good with the clocks.

The flowers are another story.

When I cleaned out the kitchen on Tuesday, I pulled out no fewer than seven separate fake plants and fake flower arrangements. In my bedroom there are five more. On the stairwell, there are five. I’m looking at three in the computer room right now. Come to think of it, there isn’t a single room in the house (bathrooms included) that’s free from the plastic menace of the fake floral arrangements.

They all have to go. Immediately.

I’ve begun the exhaustive process of boxing them all up and relocating them to the basement. For whatever reason, Frankie seems to think they’re pretty (she’s wrong), so I might have to compromise and keep one or two of them around for her benefit. If I had my way, though, I’d be having a mighty bonfire tomorrow and tossing them all on top of it, Fahrenheit 451-style.




Where's Waldo: Plant edition. There are five fake plants/flower arrangements in each picture. Can you find them all?

5 comments:

K. C. Wells said...

Wow. That's a lot of plastic.

dove said...

Are they covered with dust as well?

Lisa said...

Hey, those arrangements look pretty fancy-pants-80's to me. Maybe you could hose them down with 'Charlie' or 'Love's Baby Soft' and grow to love 'em....

Tif said...

Lisa, I wouldn't be at all surprised if I found a bottle of Charlie crammed away in one of the drawers here. This guy is a total hoarder!

Tif said...

Dovey, weirdly... no. Everything around here is pretty clean. It's just crazy cluttered.