Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Gee Your Hair Looks Terrific

Question of the day: How is it possible for a place to be simultaneously cold and humid?

Welcome to England!

It was a much more traditional English day today: Grey skies with the looming threat of rain. We were totally spoiled by the blue sky and sunshine when we first got here. That kind of weather here is, I'm told, exceptionally rare. Most days will be more like this one. The change in weather is definitely going to take a little getting used to. In Colorado, it's blue skies and sunshine over 300 days of the year. Also, the air outside here is a bizarre combination of wind, cold, and, humidity. When I walk around outside, I end up simultaneously shivering and sweating. Weird.

It might be a fair trade, though, because the humidity here makes my hair look kind of awesome. Frankie's too. Hers is suddenly bone straight and uncharacteristically manageable, and mine is all curl, no frizz. I'm totally digging it.





(Of course, check back with me in a month or so on how I feel about this “fair trade” business. I'm betting that after a few weeks of grey skies, I'd be willing to shave my head for a little sunshine.)



Frankie and I had another "girls day" today. We watched a movie, played a few games, and went for our daily constitutional around the city. I hit a trip milestone, too, by making my first purchase in British pounds. Yay, me!

I'm not as tired as I was yesterday, but I think the jetlag is starting to get to Frankie. She's been pretty consistently tired all day, and as I look across the room at her, I can tell that her eyelids are at half-mast. Much to my complete surprise, she's actually been sleeping great. We put her down around 9 pm, and she'll sleep through until almost 10 am. When she's awake, I think that her body clock is just thrown off. She’s not sure whether its day or night, or whether she should be eating or sleeping. It probably doesn’t help, either, that we don’t have a very stable routine in place yet.

I’m sure we’ll get there. It’ll just take a few more days. And, to her credit, the jetlag isn’t making her crazy crabby or mean. She just seems tired and vaguely dazed.


I've been really proud of her, though. All things considered, she's been a really great travel companion.




5 comments:

dove said...

Can't wait to see a photo of your hair! Keep warm... or cool... or dry.

K. C. Wells said...

I'm with Dove. I want some hair pics, baby! XOXOXOXOXOXO

Anonymous said...

A good hair day is priceless!!! Enjoy.

jwjacole said...

The hair thing sounds sounds great. I've never been in a climate where my hair got better. The body clock thing must really be crazy for little nes. This oes not sound like Frankie at all.

Anonymous said...

I love the hair pictures!! You both look great!!