Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Maryport Move-In

It’s exciting, moving into a new house. On Sunday night, we packed everything up in Bristol and went to bed, raring to hit the road early the next day for the six hour drive to Maryport. I was so excited that I was up and dressed by 7am, long before Matt or Frankie had popped out of their bedrooms. The ride from Bristol to Maryport seemed to take forever, but when we pulled up in front of the house, it was all worth it. It’s such a beautiful building, and I can see why Matt fell in love with the place. It’s far and away the most interesting, quirky, and downright cool place I’ve ever lived in. It’s huge, too! There’s something in the neighborhood of thirteen rooms, counting bathrooms and the laundry area. It’s way more space than I’ve ever lived in before. I’m still getting a little turned around and confused as I ramble from room to room.


The first floor is for all of the common living spaces. There’s a living room, a dining room, a nice kitchen, a big foyer with super cool tiled floors, and a study.













Upstairs, there are four bedrooms and three bathrooms.












Remember when I said that this place used to be a bed and breakfast? From looking at the décor in the house, its past is pretty obvious. It’s all very Victorian in terms of style, and most of the rooms are filled with an assortment of very expensive and grown-up looking antiques: wash basins, silver serving sets, elaborate lacy floral curtains and even a baby grand piano.

Here's a random sampling of the decor round these parts:





(Accordians, anyone?)

There are a few rooms that seem to have been cleaned out of the “posh” Victorian décor and modernized, but not necessarily in a very cohesive way. It’s very catch-as-catch-can in those rooms. It seems like maybe the castoffs from two other households have somehow ended up here: an old computer desk from the 90s, a very expensive-looking and massive set of cherry cabinets from the 80s, an ikea day bed, some country-style knotty pine furniture, an old foosball table, and so forth. For example:





(Nothing matches in here, and it drives me crazy! Plus, must...burn... rug.)


Fortunately, we have a basement where we can stash most of the unwanted stuff. I have big plans for turning one of the “castoff” bedrooms upstairs into a playroom for Frankie, and the downstairs study (where the foosball table, several boxes of random junk, and two of the ugliest green armchairs I’ve ever seen in my life currently live) into an office for Matt.

Right now, it definitely feels a bit like living in someone else’s house. As soon as we personalize and de-clutter the place a bit (new bedspreads, rugs, curtains, some kid stuff), I think it’ll be great.

Oh, and did I mention the view?



(The small band of grey mist where the hills meet the sky is the Irish Sea.)


8 comments:

dove said...

Yowzers! It looks like such a great space. Can't wait to see what you do with the place.

p.s. - the view is AMAZING!

Anonymous said...

I love seeing this beautiful place through your eyes! It is truly an amazing place and it must be so much fun to be living there and making it your own space!!

I do so appreciate and look forward to the pictures and info. Please keep them coming!!!

I am sure you are very happy to have your internet and computer back! How would we get along without it??? Do you have TV there?

Love, Mom in PA

jwjacole said...

Wow! It looks really roooomy. I am not great on old but it looks like it will be a great place to settle into.
That view is really great. It all looks so British. I really can't wait to see it all.
Speaking of settling in, Roscoe is doing great! He hasn't had any accidents aside from the marking he had to do on my bathroom rugs I was drying outside.

Olga said...

My God what a breathtaking view. And so many rooms. You three can spend the day chasing each other around. We are thrilled for you all. Please...what is your mailing address??

Tif said...

Mom, we do have tv here, but no DVR. All of the shows are unfamiliar, though, and very British. There's not a lot of variety. (I miss American tv!!)

Tif said...

Olga, I'll email you our mailing address tonight.

Tif said...

Jo, I'm so glad to hear that Roscoe is doing well. Thank you so much for taking such great care of him!

K. C. Wells said...

Random thoughts:

1. LOVE the tile in the downstairs entry. Awesome!
2. Frankie is cute as a button!
3. That rug has GOT to go. You're so spot on.
4. Your view is stunning.
5. I can't wait to see the transformation as you make it your own.
6. I'm glad to hear Ross is settling in well. He's a good boy. :)

Smooches to you all!