Thursday, September 16, 2010

Homecoming, USA

It's official. We're going to be coming back to the US for good in just a few short weeks.



Our flights are booked, and we'll be home in Colorado again on Monday October 25.

I'm feeling weirdly meloncholy about our impending departure. In many ways, I feel like we were just starting to get the hang of this British thing. We've figured out how to buy our food and household supplies, understand how the trash system works, figured out how to use the Royal Mail, I've learned how to drive, Frankie's made friends at school, the people in Maryport seem to be treating us less like "outsiders." All of the big hurdles are cleared, and just when we're ready to start coasting along... We're done.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to come back to the US too. I've missed my friends and family terribly, and am really looking forward to leading a more social existence. Still, I've also really grown to like it over here, and will be sad to take that final plane ride, knowing that I'll probably never be back.

I'm especially going to miss all of the travel and sightseeing we've been doing. All my life, I've wanted to travel and see more of the world, and this trip has given me the chance to live out that dream. When I think back on all of the amazing things I've seen in the last six months, I'm flabbergasted at how lucky we've been to be able to see this part of the world. London, Bath, Bristol, York, Paris, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Manchester... All rare and wonderful experiences, seen in a matter of months.

I'm really going to miss the travel, the exploration, and the newness of it all.

It's the end of the adventure, and that makes me a little sad.

3 comments:

K. C. Wells said...

It's only the end of THIS adventure.

jwjacole said...

It's really great to see how much you have loved this adventure. I really thought from the beginning that is would be a very special opportunity for all three of you. I agree with K.C., it's only the end of THIS adventure. Knowing you two, there will be many more.

Lisa said...

I agree. I think this transplanted family will have many, many more adventures! And I have to say: It will be so wonderful to have you all back in CO for a while!