Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Culture Shock: Cumbrian Slang

Query:

Let's say you're in Maryport at the grocery store. You head to the checkout line and start  to put all of your items on the conveyor belt. As you're in the middle of your task, the cashier asks, "Do you need any help, Luv?"

What do you think she means?

[[answer forthcoming...]]

Good guesses! I would have thought the same thing: That she meant the store would send someone out to my my car with me, or that someone would help me bag the groceries. But no. What "do you need any help" really means, is would you like me to give you a few free plastic bags?

It took me forever to figure that one out! Most people out here put their groceries into canvas bags that they bring from home, and grocery stores don't leave free plastic bags with the store's logo on them just lying around. If you want a plastic bag, you have to ask for one-- They keep them out of reach under the counter. If you say you "need help," that's code for "please give me a bag."

No one EVER offers to carry groceries to your car, and no matter how busy the grocery store gets, I've never had anyone offer to put anything in a bag for me.

Just another one of those quirky little cultural differences.

8 comments:

K. C. Wells said...

My first thought is help with carrying groceries to the car. I have a feeling that's wrong, though.

jwjacole said...

I think it means help putting it in the bags.

K. C. Wells said...

So not the answer I expected!

jwjacole said...

"Do you need help?" means "Do you want a plastic bag to carry these things in"? That makes not sense. Also, how come you are just now finding this out?

Tif said...

I guess I'm just a little slow on the uptake, Jo. ;)

It only occurred to me last week what "do you need help" means, because the clerk held out a bag to me while she asked the question. Then the lightbulb went off. I said to her, "Oh!! THAT'S what you mean! Bags!!" and laughed while she looked at me like I was a mental patient.

Anonymous said...

Not the answer that I expected. Do they call everyone Luv?

jwjacole said...

O.K. that makes sense. Do you feel like an idiot every other day? I love the cultural stuff.

Tif said...

More like every day, Jo.

And, yes, they do call pretty much everyone "Luv." I actually really like it.