Thursday, July 1, 2010

Dearham School Fair

This evening, we headed over to Frankie's school for a "fun fair." All of the classrooms had little games and prizes in them, they had set up a bouncy castle in the gym, and there was a raffle and bake sale. I know it sounds lovely and quaint, and in many respects it was. It's just... Well, it was just so dang crowded.

The school is small as it is, and the hallways are extremely narrow. Most corridors, including the main hallways and foyer, you can barely fit two people side-by-side. In the mornings when I drop Frankie off, it's always a struggle getting through the school to Reception class at the back of the building. It's like what a salmon must feel, swimming upstream. There are masses of kids and parents, and everyone is trying to squeeze in and out, drag baby carraiges through the hall, dodge kids running back and forth from classrooms, and generally manuever a steady stream of parents all trying to either get in or out. It's chaos in there. It takes all of my inner strength and zen reserves not to have a total freak out and start shoving people aside in a desperate grab for space.

Sound bad? The fair was much, much worse than that.

It was raining, so there weren't any outside games. Instead, everyone had to jam inside the school. Every classroom, every hallway, every inch of space was filled with a body. In general, people in the UK seem to have a different sense of space than I do. They seem to be more comfortable being closer to one another, elbow to elbow. They don't have a personal space bubble. Me, on the other hand? I have a huge personal space bubble, and when someone comes into it uninvited it makes me super edgy.

The whole time I just felt ike I was trapped in a hot, overcrowded subway car. The kids and the parents seemed to all be having a great time, but personally I couldn't wait to get out of there. I couldn't move, and felt penned in wherever I stood. Like a veal.

Maybe I have a touch of the claustrophobia? In any event, I just don't like crowds and tight spaces. For future reference....must avoid!

Frankie had a good time, though. Here she is, showing off her awesome face paint:


8 comments:

K. C. Wells said...

So, while we're in Vegas, I shouldn't spoon you in the night? ;)

jwjacole said...

School fund raising events and fairs are my least favorite kind of school activities. That is one thing kids love and teachers dread. Then add crowding into the school and I am over the top. Good for you for taking Frankie. I'm sure she loved it.

Lisa said...

That is so interesting--the notion that Brits have a different sense of personal space than we might have in the States. In any case, the sea of humanity sounds pretty overwhelming. I hope you can opt out of that particular activity next time 'round!

Tif said...

KC... Spoon away!!

It’s weird, but I don’t actually have the same space issues with people I actually know. It only applies to strangers and casual acquaintances. It’s been that way as long as I can remember. Even as a kid, I remember hating it when a long-distant relative would hug me, or an overly-friendly waiter would climb in my restaurant booth to take our order.

I’m a nutjob. Or... pleasantly eccentric?

Tif said...

Jo, I should also give props to Matt. He came home early from work to go to the fair with us. Poor guy. (Good dad, though!)

Tif said...

Lisa, it totally reminded me of the time we were in the subway and it was INSANELY crowded.

I'm not sure if my Brit vs UK personal space theory is accurate, but it sure seems true. Even when *driving,* the folks out here have a different sense of space. UK drivers are comfortable getting their cars much closer to one another on these tiny little British roads. When Mark was visiting, that was one thing that he especially noticed, too.

Matt thinks that because there's less space over here to sprawl out, people have just gotten used to tight quarters and shared space. It's an interesting theory.

jwjacole said...

I actually think Matt might be right about the personal space issue having to do with the limited space they have in England. When we had the exchange students from Japan we were warned that they might be freaked out at the open space we have hear in Colorado.

dove said...

That sounds like a nightmare! Glad you made it through with minimal psychological scarring.