Friday, July 30, 2010

Grey Gardens

I've fantasizing about moving back to Colorado to live in/renovate this insane 1970s mansion, which would undoubtedly become our own personal Grey Gardens.




Of course, no way would I have the money or energy to take on a project like that. Still... It's fun to daydream about living in the finished product.

Thoughts of Colorado houses are running through my head again, as we start to talk about wrapping up our time in England. Matt is needed back in the states, so it looks like we might be poised to leave England sometime in late October.

I'm not sure how I feel about that yet. I'll be glad to be back in Colorado, but it's weird to think about leaving, since it feels like we only just got settled.

Then, of course, I start thinking about moving back to Colorado and uprooting the family yet again by looking for a new house. What am I, some sort of nomad? A wanderlust junkie? Truthfully, I think I've been spoiled by living in this huge old house. Our Old Town place is going to feel like a bit of a shoebox. A delightfully homey shoebox filled with awesome mid-century chachkies, but a shoebox nonetheless. Also, where the process of buying a new house and permanently moving out of our Colorado house used to feel totally overwhelming, it now seems easy peasy. Heck, if we can relocate to England, surely we can do the same across town.

It's really odd thinking about leaving the Kirkborough House and never coming back. It's times like these that I'm glad I have the blog-- It'll be interesting to look back on these entries a year of so down the road when all of the memories of hot dogs in a can, our spectacular view across the sea, and our kooky neighbors have faded.

2 comments:

jwjacole said...

No reason you can't dream. Matt loves projects, right? We are very happy to have you all back home. This has been an amazing adventure and great for those of us that took advantage and came to England to visit.

K. C. Wells said...

Nothing wrong with looking for a new house. That's not really uprooting, IMO. Change is good. :)