Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy 4th of July!

It's weird to be in England on the 4th of July. Since the holiday doesn't exist over here, we're totally skipping the festivities. I briefly considered trying to organize some sort of family barbeque, but it's cold, gray and rainy... Not exactly ideal picnic weather. The rain just keeps coming down. Bleh. I'm feeling a little jealous of the sunny 4th parties in Fort Collins. I actually love watching fireworks in City Park, and am a little sad to be missing all the fun.




To stave off the Cabin Fever, I organized a scavenger hunt for Frankie this morning. (Just like my mom used to do for me. Awwww.) I made up a series of little riddle-clues that led her to the "treasure": a face painting kit.


When she solved the puzzle, she had me paint her face like a skeleton.




Then we made a fort.




Then we drew pictures on her chalkboard. Then I made bacon and avocado sandwiches. Then we practiced letters. Then we worked on her diary. The we played Crazy Eights. Now... I'm out of ideas and it's only 2pm. Hmm.... Maybe a trip to the aquarium is in order? (Or a nap? Dare to dream.)

Matt's down in his office, doing what everybody does in their spare time.. Learning a new computer programming language. He's teaching himself Visual Basic, and then making up a 'Farkle' simulator for Frankie. (Farkle is a dice game that she really likes.) The progress he's made is really impressive, and his Farkle program is looking great. I'm glad he's enjoying his new hobby, but I'm hoping that one of us can lure him out of his cave soon.

Anyhow, just wanted to let all of you back in the States know that we're thinking of you. Wish we were eating hamburgers and potato salad with you all right now.

5 comments:

jwjacole said...

Don't feel too bad, it's cloudy with chances of rain later today so you are not missing the typical Colorado 4th. It is pretty pathetic here without the fun family get together. We miss you all. The new game sounds great. We love Farkle even though we have to relearn the rules every year because of memory issues.

dove said...

Love the skeleton face paint! Nice work. She's all ready for Halloween.

K. C. Wells said...

Farkle is a complete unknown to me. Frankie's skeleton face is awesome! Nice work, Mommy! I think you should lure Matt out of his cave with the promise of some new gadget, and as soon as he's out, lock yourself in there. The old bait and switch. Classic.

Anonymous said...

The face painting is oh so very cute! You did a great job!

Does the paint come off easily?

Tif said...

Pretty easy, if you use make-up remover. I think face painting might be my new favorite rainy-day activity. It's that rare thing that's fun for me *and* Frankie.