Thursday, April 1, 2010

An Afternoon in Whitehaven

Yesterday, Matt very kindly offered to drive home at lunchtime to pick Jo, Frankie, and myself up and drop us off in the nearby town of Whitehaven. We had a very lovely "girls afternoon out," and spent a few hours shopping and exploring the harbor.


Whitehaven is right on the sea, and it was super windy at the harbor. The skies were blue, but so were our fingers and toes.







Jo made friends with a local man, who told her all about the history of Whitehaven.



The man had a small, shivering, sixteen year old dog with him. Yowza!


There was a beautiful church in the center of town where George Washington's grandmother was buried. 



Frankie got a fantastic cup of hot chocolate with whipped cream and a Cadbury Flake bar on top. (SUGAR OVERLOAD!!)



Jo and I split a traditional English dessert called "sticky toffee pudding." It was amazingly good, and Jo proclaimed it to be her favorite thing about England.



It warmed up a bit later in the afternoon, and we walked out on the pier.





I loved this building, because it reminded me of the Legion of Doom from the old Super Friends cartoon.



(See? I told you!)


More senic shots of Whitehaven harbor.





When Matt was finished with work, he drive back over and joined us. Pictured is what Frankie and Matt call "wall walking," an activity that they love (but makes me crazy nervous).



All of the stores close down here at 5pm, so by 5:15, the once-busy pedestrian mall was a total ghost town. The change was almost instant...Everyone vanished. It was so weird! It was as if the town had some sort of werewolf problem, and had to shut down before sundown.


On a way back to to the car, we got a little lost. Frankie asked this helpful statue for directions.






2 comments:

dove said...

I can't believe how long Frankie's hair is getting! I remember when we wondered if she would ever grow hair.

Tif said...

I know! It's crazy, right? It's like we poured on a bottle of that quick-growing hair tonic from the old Bugs Bunny cartoons. I look at old pictures of her and think... Why on Earth did I cut her hair so short? Then I remember... Oh, right! She didn't actually *have* any hair.