Monday, April 12, 2010

We've been burgled!

I've been the victim of identity theft!



On Thursday, some cyber-thief stole my debit card number and went on a shopping spree. In a twist that seems only likely to have happened to me, the thief spent a whopping $1700 at one single store.

Ready for it?

The $1700 was spent at a Hollywood, CA wig and toupee shop.

This means that I can provide the police with the following hepful clues. The thief is either:

A. Balding



B. Sporting a mad awesome weave


C. A drag queen



I'm not exactly sure what's going to happen next. We caught the bogus charge less than 24 hours after it was made, and promptly called our bank. When they told us where the thief had been shopping, we all couldn't help but laugh. I hope I can take that as a good sign that we will soon be reuinted with all (or at least most) of the stolen money. At least I hope so. It's really depressing to think that we might have to lose that much of our savings on someone else's stupid fake hair.

5 comments:

K. C. Wells said...

Oh, no! That's awful! I hope everything gets worked out. That's so infuriating. Maybe it was Tyra Banks!

jwjacole said...

I'm so sorry. You really need to be diligent. It is pretty fun where the charges popped up. That was probably hard to spot.

Lisa said...

That is awful! And it's strange because I had a similar experience last week when, from out of the blue I got a call from Walgreens about "suspicious activity" on a credit card. Someone had purchased $5000 worth of perfume online and mailed it to someplace in LA. Maybe these situations are connected--I can imagine the headlines: "Comb-over gang justifies theft in name of beauty" or "They Care about Hair and Smelling Fair" (would *The Tattler* take that one?)

Tif said...

That such a weird coincidence, Lisa! Matt just reminded me, too, that the wig store where our card was used was in LA, not Hollywood. Is it at all possible that the two are related??

Tif said...

I meant to ask: Did you get your money back? I really hope so. 5,000 dollars is huge!