Tuesday, April 20, 2010

London Trip Part 5: Victoria and Albert Museum

Matt was in a business meeting, so Frankie and I had the morning to ourselves on Friday. Since I was in charge and Frankie is basically my tourism prisoner, I drug her over to the Victoria and Albert Museum. The V&A is a decorative arts museum. They have an amazing collection of furniture, glass, sculpture, art, fashion, jewelry,and household items from the Renaissance to the present day. It was my kind of museum. They even had a whole room devoted to md-century modern furniture, which is totally my favorite thing in the world.

Perhaps most impressive was the building itself. It was an enormous palace, beautifully ornamented and absolutely gorgeous to look at.










The V&A did have some nice activities for kids. They handed out "adventure packpacks" and invited kids to follow a series of clues through different galleries of the muesum, which was very fun for Frankie.They also had a quilt making workshop that Frankie and I sat in on.








We were there for four hours, and then Matt joined us after finishing up his meeting. From there, it was on to the Natural History Museum.

2 comments:

dove said...

That back pack is almost as big as Frankie! Loved your quilt patches.

jwjacole said...

I am so glad to see the opportunities that Frankie is having. Although she will not remember a great deal it will be wonderful background knowledge to build on. She is such a good sport in her ginormous backpack.