Friday, April 2, 2010

Ken's Used Car Lot

Ken the Cumbrian Handyman isn't just a handyman. He also has a lot of other side business that he's into. He does a little appliance repair on the side, and is part owner of a... how should I phrase it? An "intimate waxing" studio. You know, bikini waxes and such? The second time I met him, he told me all about his waxing studio and that he would be happy to let me enjoy his services for half price.  I was horrified beyond belief at the thought of what that transaction would be like, until I eventually realized that he wasn't offering to perform the service himself. That's his wife's job.

Anyhow, in another one of his side ventures, Ken also apparently buys and sells used cars. But since he doesn't have anywhere to put the cars while he's trying to unload them, he relys on the goodwill of others to find parking spaces.

Before we took our trip to Bath, Ken parked one of his used cars in our driveway. He said that he had cleared it with our landlord, and that it would only be there for a day. On Saturday, he promised that it would be gone.

When we got home from Bath on Tuesday, not only was the car still there, but it has also apparently met another nice car and decided to settle down and start a family. Here's the scene in our driveway now. There are four cars and a camper, none of which belong to us.


Grrr...Ken!!!!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken is certainly a character! Sure to bring you lots of laughs and memories. His wife sounds interesting too! Have you had a chance to meet her?

K. C. Wells said...

Ken just gets worse and worse! Intimate waxing-yeesh.

dove said...

This is really starting to remind me of your crazy neighbor from Fort Collins.

Lisa said...

I'm waiting to hear what your landlord has to say about Ken's ventures. (I have a morbid concern that the landlord might be somehow related to the wax-works wife!)

Mimi said...

What a savy businessman Ken is...Please ask him the price of the camper. And any discounts because we know you?
PS
I don't want his wife involved in this possible transaction.

Tif said...

Haven't met the wife yet, but he did show me a picture. She's at least 15 years younger than Ken, and...looks *a lot* like me.

Tif said...

Dovey, I totally know what you're saying! It's Carol all over again. (Why does this pattern keep repeating itself??)

Tif said...

Lisa, the landlord is fairly tight-lipped about the whole affair, but Matt got the impression on the phone that he seemed a bit fed up with all Ken's shenanigans. Apparently, one of the other tenants already called to complain about some other issue, and it seems like everyone at Kirkborough Manor is atarting to present a unified front against Ken. Wen I first met Ken, he gave me the impression that he'd been the handyman over here for a long time. I'm thinking now that his arrangement with the landlord might be fairly new. (And hopefully, not long-lasting?)

Tif said...

Mimi, maybe you could buy the camper, and then move over here to start a mobile waxing studio with Ken and his wife? ;)

Tif said...

ps: The cars are still here, and we haven't seen Ken for days. We have a broken shower, a mailbox that needs to be installed, a cracked sink, an oven that won't heat properly, and all kinds of other stuff that needs to be done. I wonder what the deal is?

K. C. Wells said...

Easter is a big holiday. I'm sure all the intimate waxing is keeping Ken pretty busy.