Thursday, April 8, 2010

Marlee and Me

Ken came over yesterday with his pal Allen, and spent the better part of six hours obsessively washing and cleaning all of the cars he’s keeping in our driveway. (He snaked a power cord in through our dining room window, and “borrowed” our electricity to run a power washer.)

This led to two important developments:

1) When he knocked on the door at 8pm and ordered it, I refused to make Ken coffee. (I am woman, hear me roar.)

2) The RV is finally gone!

Ok, sure… His other three cars are still in the driveway. But, I’ll take progress where I can get it.

Matt and I also made one other interesting discovery: Ken might actually be deaf. We noticed yesterday that he was wearing hearing aids in both ears, and that whenever he couldn’t see us talking to him, he couldn’t hear a word. Either he's getting really good at ignoring us, or he might be doing a fair amount of lip reading.

It explains a lot, really. I wondered why he talked so loudly, and why he was so hard to understand. I just thought he had a really thick Cumbrian accent. But now, I’m realizing that he might sound the way he sounds because he’s British and deaf.

Don’t get me wrong… He’s still seriously odd. But if he is deaf, I actually feel badly that I didn’t notice sooner. It’d be like a British person coming to America, meeting Marlee Matlin, and thinking, “Wow… American accents sure are hard to understand!”


7 comments:

jwjacole said...

Oh, my that puts a little different light on things. However, it still does not explain the ordering you around, the car lot, and the not getting anything done. Even if you are deaf that does not allow you to be a jerk.
Yea for your telling him no on the coffee. What was his reaction?

K. C. Wells said...

Maybe that would explain why he never heard his mother explaining that it's rude to barge into other people's houses. ;)

(I'm so MEAN!)

Tif said...

He seemed stunned that I wouldn't bring him a "cuppa," and asked again... As if I hadn't heard him correctly the first time.

When it was clear that I wasn't taking any orders, he backed away from the door and said "OKEH. RIIIGHT THEEN."

We'll see if he asks again.

Tif said...

Oh! And his house key has been confiscated. Yay!

Unknown said...

He also fixed the shower and installed the mailbox.

He also said the rest of the cars would be gone by Sunday and that we will install the new sink next week.

Assuming that all goes to plan (not a lot of track record there but..) we should be Ken free until some other issue crops up.

Tif said...

Good point, Matt!

I called to complain to the landlord about Ken on Wednesday morning, and by Wednesday afternoon Ken was over at the house working on all of his projects. I'm thinking the landlord maybe lit a bit of a fire under Mr. Ken.

For some reason, Ken's grumpy about the mailbox that we had him install. But, that's kind of a long story. Maybe for another post?

jwjacole said...

That's great that he finally repaired the shower. It is really a nice bathroom considering the grinder thing. Hope the mail thing gets worked out.